Tuesday, September 22, 2015

My advice to you about sunscreen

I want to share with you something that I learned recently:  If protected from the sun long enough to heal and regenerate, your skin might actually be able to REVERSE signs of damage that lead to wrinkles! Like, hello there reader who might feel like they can't do anything about preexisting sun damage other than expensive surgery or stem cell serum made from only the softest and plumpest of baby's bottoms. Please read on.

 I feel like most people are confused about sunscreen. It's clearly something we all know is important, however given all the choices available (wide range of SPF, different price points, EWG ratings, Mineral vs Chemical), it's hard to know if we are using the products that are right for each of us. The following is what I've learned in my research, both about why sunscreen is necessary as well as why I doubt you are wearing enough on a daily basis.

The sun emits harmful Ultraviolet (UV) radiation which is classified into two categories: UVB (responsible for burning, eventually wrinkles) and UVA (causes wrinkles). Exposure to both UVA and UVB rays can lead to skin cancer. SPF numbers refer to the level of protection against harmful UVB rays only. This is why you need to make sure the one you buy is labeled as broad spectrum, multi-spectrum or UVA/UVB protection. If you have a BB or CC cream that includes SPF, the ingredients that protect against UVA damage are zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, avobenzone, ecamsule, and oxybenzone. I will discuss BB and CC creams more in a minute.

To make things even MORE complicated, sunscreen can be broken down into two further categories: Mineral and Chemical. Mineral sunscreens (zinc oxide, titanium dioxide) deflect UV radiation from the sun whereas chemical sunscreens absorb it. For this reason, chemical sunscreens need to be applied to the skin for 30 minutes prior to sun exposure to take effect and mineral sunscreens are effective almost immediately after application.

Let's discuss where sunscreen fits in with your morning beauty routine. Wash your face, apply your serum, moisturize (if your moisturizer has SPF then you're all set), then apply your sunscreen prior to primer and foundation. Now, I know that a ton of BB cream and foundations have SPF added to them. This is great and I totally feel like if you're in a rush this is better than nothing. HOWEVER, the reason why I feel like it's smarter to use a moisturizer with SPF or a dedicated face sunscreen is that the amount of product needed to cover your entire face, ears, neck and upper chest (I don't know about you, but I don't want alligator skin in that area) is about 1 teaspoon. This is what 1 teaspoon looks like:


Now, BB Cream isn't cheap. Also, it would take me one hot minute to completely mess up my outfit and hair with beige streaks of face makeup. So consider keeping a face moisturizer with SPF or a dedicated face sunscreen in your bathroom so you can get the tippy top of your ears, your neck and chest when you're still in your post-shower robe or Disney princess towel (my adult-sized towel tends to walk out of the bathroom in the morning- I'm talking to you, husband).

Instinctually you would think that the higher SPF, the better, but that is not actually the case. The amount of chemicals needed to make a sunscreen over SPF 50 is not giving you a ton of added protection from the sun compared to an SPF 30. I recently learned that they are actually banning SPF over 50 in the EU! If your skin is sensitive, I would recommend that you choose an SPF of 15-30. Anything under SPF 15 is not worth your time or money. The not for profit organization called Environmental Working Group has a database of most available sunscreens in the US market which are rated on a 0-10 scale. The lower the number, the less exposure to harmful chemicals and risk of health concerns associated with use. I usually pull this up on my phone in the sunscreen aisle before purchasing something for me or the kids.

If you're in the market for a new face sunscreen, I have a few recommendations. The first one is La Roche-Posay Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizing Cream with Sunscreen:



This is a chemical sunscreen available at Target and is actually on sale this week!! I first heard about this from Lisa Eldridge, a british makeup artist who has a blog which I follow closer than the clock during Body Pump class at my gym. It's SPF 15 (and has an EWG rating of 2 which makes it just as good as any mineral option), so not appropriate for a day at the beach, however this would be great for any other normal day during the week. It contains Meroxyl SX which is said to be especially protective against short as well as long UVA rays, adding to it's broad spectrum coverage. It provides some serious hydration, making it great for winter especially. It's non-greasy, easy to apply, fragrance free and best of all it was not irritating when I used it on my eye area (don't forget that the skin around your eyes needs sunscreen too- most eye creams do not include SPF!). Even though it's found at Target, it's about $34 for 3.4 oz, or $10 per ounce. I still feel that this is a good value for both a moisturizer and sunscreen in one product.

The second option I wanted to share is brand new this month from the Honest Company called Beyond Protected Daily Beauty Fluid SPF 30. If I told you that Jessica Alba came over for a drink last night to bribe me into talking about her product, would you believe me? I wouldn't either. Anyways, I ordered a free trial of her new skin care line and her mineral based face sunscreen is pretty awesome. There is no white film whatsoever which can sometimes be present when using a mineral based product. It smells great and was nice and smooth when applied, not heavy at all. It's not technically a moisturizer, however it contains Hyaluronic Acid which is all the rage in skin care right now (I'll tell you more about this in another post) BUT if you have oily skin, I think that this would be fine for you without needing that extra step of a moisturizer. There is also an oil-free option available which I have not tried. This product is a little more expensive at $28 for 1.8 oz or $18 per ounce.




If you're still reading at this point, I have one more little tidbit I'd like to share. When you put your sunscreen on at 7am before work, it's hardly doing anything for you by lunch time. If you're out walking to lunch with friends, eating on a bench at the park (this is what a nurse thinks that people with office jobs do between 12-1, that and lunch beers), you're not protected from the sun. You might think "it's only 30 minutes, who cares?" Well, that's 30 minutes times 5 days which equals 2.5 hours per week times 52 weeks is like 7 or 8 wrinkles every year. Maybe lunch beers will keep that number at the lower range and clinical studies are currently underway to investigate this further. Kidding.

Here's my solution to staying SPF savvy all day. I have found two options that deliver SPF quickly for those periods of sun exposure during the day. The first is one that I've been using all summer. It's called Defense Refresh Setting Mist SPF 50 by Supergoop! I bought this in the travel size ($12) which fits in my purse (AKA diaper bag). It smells great and takes like 10 seconds to apply. The added benefit to this is that it's a makeup setting spray which mattifies your skin, so if you have a little noon-time shine poking through, this will totally squash it. This isn't for everyone though- it contains alcohol and does sting a little bit at first. Also, if my hair was down when I sprayed, that caused some annoying stiffness that caused me to have to wash my hair more than my ideal once per full moon cycle.

Setting spray with SPF
The last option is what I think is the absolute best thing ever. It's called Bare Minerals READY Touch Up Veil Broad Spectrum SPF 15 ($23) 




THIS. This is a great idea. Keep it in your purse, touch up your makeup and protect your cute little nose from the sun all while looking impossibly fresh (to quote Carrie Bradshaw) during your fun little lunch escape, or play date at the park (I'll win for the least shiny skin but lose for the dirtiest kids). This is something I'll be using for a long time. I looked around during my allowance of 6 minutes at ULTA yesterday for a similar priced and quality product and could not find one. 

Thus, my rant is over. I've become someone who does not leave the house without my Red Sox hat on the weekend, or full SPF coverage during the week (just kidding- I wear a hat covered with white sun screen fingerprints pretty much every day) but I feel like I will benefit from this obsession in 10 or 20 years. If you are someone who thinks that your skin is already damaged so why put in the effort, please reconsider! The price of youthful skin is paid over time for each and every effort you make to protect it from the sun. Or you can just buy some baby bottom stem cells. 

*please excuse my lame attempt at photography. I'll work on this if you promise to keep reading my blog!

2 comments:

  1. You're even funnier in blog life!! I want to buy all these products immediately.

    -Suzy dalbs

    ReplyDelete